The Product and Furniture Design (Hons) BA programme offered at De Montfort University will encourage you to make bold challenges to convention. You’ll study the functional and market-led requirements of product and furniture design, usability, manufacturing and aesthetics.
Specific areas include visual language, branding, user-centred design, computer-aided design (CAD), 3D design and modelling, and design cultures. You’ll learn about sustainability and examine the development of socially conscious products that, through their technical specification, reduce waste and conserve energy.
- Our course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers – this enables you to work towards membership.
- Gain professional experience with placement opportunities that have seen our students work at renowned names such as Marshalls Street Furniture, BMW and Howdens.
- We’ll champion your ideas and support you as you pursue opportunities to strengthen your portfolio and grow your confidence by entering national and international competitions. Our students have won prestigious prizes from Seymourpowell and the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce.
- The award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space and the facilities to foster creative thinking. You will have access to workshops focusing on wood, metal and plastics, utilising facilities including the newest innovations in additive manufacturing and rapid prototyping equipment
- Our graduates have gone on to work for a wide range of companies, including Jaguar Land Rover, Mamas & Papas, Ponti Design Studio and Mous.
Our graduates have gone on to work in a variety of areas within industrial product design including marketing, industrial design consultancy, user experience consultancy and project planning, product design and furniture design. Recent employers include Jaguar Land Rover, Mamas & Papas, Sixteen3 and Vax.
Accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Principles of Design
- CAD for Product Designers
- Visual Communication
- Design for Manufacture
- Design Cultures
- Workshop Practice
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Interior Design View 546 other Bachelors in Design in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A good portfolio and normally:
- Art and Design Foundation or
- 112 points from at least 2 A-levels and including grade C in Art and Design or
- BTEC Extended Diploma DMM in an Art and Design related subject or
- International Baccalaureate: 26+ Points including Art and Design
Plus five GCSEs grades 9-4 including English Language or Literature at grade 4 or above.
Alternative qualifications include:
- Pass Access with 30 Level 3 credits at Merit in Art and Design and GCSE English (Language or Literature) at grade 4 or above
- We also accept the BTEC First Diploma plus two GCSEs including English Language or Literature at grade 4 or above
- International application form
- A copy of your qualifications
- A copy of your English language certificate
- A personal statement of at least 500 words explaining why you want to study your chosen course at DMU and any additional information that will support your application
- A copy of your passport
- One reference
International14250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14250 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
- EU: £9,250 with the EU undergraduate transitional scholarship (T&Cs apply)
Living costs for Leicester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.