As part of the French programme of the University of Glasgow you can choose to focus on a whole range of topics including French comics, French song, travel writing, medieval France and contemporary French history.
Graduates have gone on to pursue rewarding careers in the media, teaching (both at home and abroad), journalism, tourism, translating and interpreting, and the Civil Service, as well as business, commerce and marketing.
- The course you study in year 1 depends on how much French you have studied before. If you have an SQA Higher or A-level in French (grade A or B), you will take the non-beginners’ language course alongside our French culture course.
- In your second year, you will extend your linguistic skills in our language and culture courses using authentic French texts and media sources.
Year 3 (study abroad)
- If you progress to Honours you will spend your third year abroad, normally either working as a language assistant in a school or studying at a university. The University has a number of exchange programmes and will provide support and advice.
Years 4 and 5
- Along with core language study, you will be able to choose from a wide range of options including literature, cinema, history and other aspects of the language and cultures of the French-speaking world.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- 26 January: all other UK/EU applicants (unless otherwise stated on the UCAS website).
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 1490 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
SQA Higher Entry Requirements (by end of S6)
- AAAAA Higher or AAAA Higher+B Advanced Higher (BBBB S5 minimum for consideration)Additional requirements: Higher English and a Higher Humanities subject.
SQA Higher Adjusted Entry Requirements (by end of S5 or S6)
- MD20 – BBBB (also other target groups)
- MD40 – AABB
- Additional requirements: Higher English and a Higher Humanities subject. Successful completion of Top-Up or one of our Summer Schools.
A-level Standard Entry Requirements
- AAB – BBB
- Additional requirements: one A-level Humanities subject.
IB Standard Entry Requirements
- 36 (6,6,5 HL) – 32 (6,5,5 HL)
- Additional requirements: HL English and HL Humanities subject.
International23520 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23520 GBP per year during 60 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Glasgow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.