The course concentrates on areas where mathematics and computing are most relevant to each other, emphasising the bridges between theory and practice. It offers opportunities for potential computer scientists both to develop a deeper understanding of the mathematical foundations of their subject, and to acquire a familiarity with the mathematics of application areas where computers can solve otherwise intractable problems. It also gives mathematicians access to both a practical understanding of the use of computers and a deeper understanding of the limits on the use of computers in their own subject.
This Mathematics and Computer Science course offered at the University of Oxford gives training in logical thought and expression, and is a good preparation for many careers. Other recent graduates have secured positions as software and hardware professionals, in research and in finance and investment analysis, and include a product controller for an international bank, an actuarial consultant and an accountant.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Continuous maths
- Groups and group actions
- Introduction to complex numbers
- Introduction to university maths
- Linear algebra
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Computer Sciences View 825 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A-levels: A*AA (if Further Mathematics is taken, then including A*A between Mathematics and Further Mathematics; otherwise including A* in Mathematics)
- Advanced Highers: AA/AAB
- IB: 39 (including core points) with 766 at HL (the 7 must be in Higher Level Mathematics)
- Candidates are expected to have Mathematics to A-level (A or A* grade), Advanced Higher (A grade), Higher Level in the IB (score 7) or another equivalent. If Further Mathematics is taken to AS-level only, we require an A in it.
- Further Mathematics is highly recommended.
International36065 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36065 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Islands (Channel Islands & Isle of Man): £9,250
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.