The Modern Language study will give you practical linguistic training, encourage you to think coherently about language as a subject of study and introduce you to an extensive and fascinating literature and thought written in European Languages.
The English and Modern Languages course offered at the University of Oxford is extremely flexible. In the first year you will do practical work in your chosen language and study a selection of important texts from its literature. On the English side, you will be introduced to the conceptual and technical tools used in the study of language and literature, and to a range of different critical assumptions and approaches.
Graduates in English and Modern Languages go on to careers in fields including broadcasting, publishing, teaching, journalism, the theatre, administration, management, advertising, translation, librarianship and the law. Knowledge of a modern language opens up opportunities for internationally-focused careers and working with international companies or organisations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to English language and literature
- One period paper from single honours English Language and Literature
- Two practical languages papers
- Two literature papers in modern languages
- Three papers from single honours English Language and Literature
- Modern Language (four papers) including: practical language work
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 542 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A-levels: AAA
- Advanced Highers: AA/AAB
- IB: 38 (including core points) with 666 at HL
- Candidates are expected to have English Literature, or English Language and Literature, to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent. Candidates would usually be expected to have the language or languages to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or another academic equivalent.
International27285 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27285 GBP per year and a duration of 48 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 48 months.
Islands (Channel Islands & Isle of Man) £9,250
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.