For example, appropriate combinations might well be French and Arabic, German and Turkish, or Hebrew and Russian, but even some of the less obvious pairings would provide similar cultural and historical linkage. For example, Spanish and Turkish would be an interesting combination for the history of Sephardi Judaism, while Persian and Portuguese are important for the study of early colonial expansion.The European and Middle Eastern Languages course is offered at the University of Oxford.
Through its long-standing traditions and connections the University of Oxford has outstanding resources for the study of Middle Eastern and modern European languages. The Bodleian Library and Taylor Institution Library have an extensive collection of books and manuscripts. The Taylor Institution is one of the biggest research and lending libraries devoted to modern European languages in the world.
Oxford graduates in these subjects regularly go into highly competitive areas such as the law, finance, commerce, management consultancy, accountancy, the media, advertising, the Foreign Office and the arts. Recent European and Middle Eastern Languages graduates include a Foreign Office diplomat, a translator at the UN and a journalist at a foreign news channel.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Two language papers
- One literature paper
- Intensive language learning
- Students attend an approved course of language instruction in the Middle East
- Students are encouraged to spend as much of their vacation time as possible in a relevant country
- Practical language work in the European language
- Period of literature and further paper chosen from a wide range of options in the European language
- Practical language work in the Middle Eastern language
- Three papers including literature and a range of options in the Middle Eastern language
- Extended essay on a topic bridging the European and the Middle Eastern language
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Linguistics View 1537 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A-levels: AAA
- Advanced Highers: AA/AAB
- IB: 38 (including core points) with 666 at HL
- You would usually be expected to have the European language to A-level, or another academic equivalent. We would not normally expect you to have any knowledge of the Middle Eastern language
International27285 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27285 GBP per year and a duration of 48 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 48 months.
Islands (Channel Islands & Isle of Man) £9,250
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.