Teacher Education in German is a four-year programme in an international setting that has been taught in English and German since 2016. You will be guided by our experienced lecturers and get to enjoy Utrecht's vibrant student life. You will have frequent and intensive contact with Germany, and do internships at a school from the first year onwards. Teaming up with your fellow students, you will plan your own excursion to Berlin in your third year of study.
With your Teacher Education in German programme offered at HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht, you may work in the lower years of Dutch secondary education or at vocational and language schools. You could also become a freelancer and teach/tutor privately, write course books or exam materials or work in teacher training.
- Secondary School Teacher of German
- German Teacher at a Language Institute
- German Teacher in Vocational Education
- Course Material or Exam Designer
- Freelance Language Trainer
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The first year focuses on what it means to be a teacher. You will do an internship at a Dutch school for one day a week. You will also work on improving your German proficiency and learn about the culture of the German-speaking countries.
- The main phase of the programme consists of literature, teaching methodology, German culture, linguistics, second language acquisition and language proficiency.
- You will spend a semester as an exchange student at a German or Austrian university to improve your German proficiency.
- At the end of your third year, you and your fellow students will organise a week-long excursion to Berlin.
- Your final year focuses on completing your degree. About half of your time is spent doing an internship at a Dutch high school, where you teach your own classes and undertake a research project for the school, supported by us and your school supervisor.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies View 7 other Masters in Education in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You need a diploma comparable to the Dutch Mbo-4 or Havo diplomas. In general, a diploma that gives you access to higher education in your home country allows you entrance to HU.
International8547 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8547 EUR per year and a duration of 48 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.