Animation is at the heart of the movie industry, from the latest blockbuster to the small budget indie. At the Animation Honours course offered at the Middlesex University you will develop your vision as an artist, animator, designer and director, equipping yourself with the essential skills to establish yourself in the animation industry. You'll be encouraged to experiment and be given the space to explore your own creativity and develop your own style. You’ll study across a broad range of animation practice, including traditional and digital 2D, motion graphics and stop motion, as well as 3D computer animation and even working directly onto 16mm film.
- While studying animation you'll combine both theory and practice to develop your skills and knowledge. In class discussions and lectures, you'll learn about the history of animation, building your understanding of the changing practices of animation and being introduced to new concepts around animation and games.
- When it comes to practical work, you'll develop and consolidate your own approach to animation in our state-of-the-art animation studios. Using building your own animated films as part of your portfolio development module. Using industry standard software you'll build and refine your technical skills with a focus on designing and directing your own animated films. You'll also learn storytelling, scriptwriting and characterisation alongside film and sound editing techniques to convey compelling narratives.
- You’ll learn alongside our BAFTA winning academic team who all work professionally in film making, each with their own set of skills in long and short animation, commercials, TV shows, motion graphics and music videos. They have worked with companies like Dreamworks, Warner Bros, Cartoon Network and the BBC with nominations and wins across events such as Cannes Film Festival and London International Animation Festival.
Middlesex has strong links with art and design employers. Industry partners sponsor final year students and give visiting lectures. Hundreds of art and design agencies, organisations and other employers attend our final year degree show each year. Animation at Middlesex will prepare you for a career in many areas of the animation industry, with roles including:
- Animation Director
- Motion Graphic Designer
- 2D animator
- Stop Motion Animator
- Games Animator
- Modeler Rigger
- After Effects Artist
- CGI animator
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- From Pencil to Pixel
- Animation and Creative Workshops
- Animation Practice and Creative Workshops
- Animation and Digital Cultures
- Animation: Major Projects and Professional Portfolio Development
- Critical and Contextual Research Proposition Essay
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 604 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Levels: BBC-BBB
- BTEC: DMM-DDM
- 112 UCAS points
- All applications are considered on their individual merit; successful applicants should demonstrate suitability, dedication and fitness for their chosen programme of study. All candidates are asked to submit evidence of previous production and creative practice, normally presented as a portfolio.
- As far as possible, students are required to attend an interview. This interview is there to find out more about you, to better understand your aspirations and interests.
- You should also bring a full portfolio to the interview.
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
- EU: £14,000 per year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.