About this Degree
If you like working one-on-one with kids with different needs, and you want to see them included in the classroom, becoming an educational assistant might be the career for you. Educational assistants provide the all-important one-on-one support that makes today’s inclusive classrooms possible.
Saskatchewan Polytechnic offers the one-year Educational Assistant certificate program in Saskatoon, as well as through regional colleges around the province. Or, you can take the certificate through distance education. Whether you study on campus or via distance learning, you’ll participate in two 4-week practicums - one in an elementary school, one in a high school.
Why Practicums?Putting you in the classroom lets you apply what you’ve learned to helping children with different needs. You’ll see first hand the kind of technology being used and the curriculum being taught. You’ll have a package of guidance strategies to help deal with situations as they arise. Most importantly, you’ll gain a solid understanding of what to expect in a real classroom with real kids.
What You’ll LearnYour job is to assist classroom teachers by working with children or youth with diverse learning needs. Saskatchewan Polytechnic provides the knowledge and skills you’ll need, including:
- basic care skills (lifting to feeding)
- classroom management and crisis prevention techniques and strategies
- communication skills and professionalism
- cultural awareness and family dynamics
- exceptionalities (causes, characteristics and accommodations)
- social, emotional, cognitive development (children and teens)
- supporting teachers in specific subject areas
- your role in the classroom
- Supporting Instruction
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Guiding Behaviour
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Practicum Integration Seminar
- Studies of Exceptionality
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research Early Childhood Education View 165 other Bachelors in Education in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Grade 12
- English Language Requirement
- Accepted applicants may be required to provide evidence of a Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Checks prior to entering the practicum component of the program. At the discretion of the practicum agency, the student may be declined access to a clinical or work placement based on the contents of the Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Checks. The cost of the Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Checks are the responsibility of the student.
International15000 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 CAD for the full programme during 12 months.
National6990 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6990 CAD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Saskatoon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.