You'll deepen your chemistry and biology knowledge as you study how drugs – such as painkillers, antibiotics and even caffeine – alter the body's systems.
You'll investigate why people's bodies respond differently to the same drugs and look at how new medicines are developed, tested and launched.
You'll have the opportunity to further enhance your career prospects and workplace skills by applying to do a sandwich year in industry. An optional module allows you to study the business side of the pharmacology industry.
When you graduate, you'll be set for a career or further study in areas such as new drug development, medical writing, regulatory affairs and pharmaceutical marketing.
- Use our pharmacology, chemistry and microbiology laboratories
- Explore new techniques in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, such as DNA drugs, and investigate areas like how cells communicate with each other
- Use our specialist facilities, which include live cell imaging, spectroscopy equipment, chromatography instruments, molecular modelling facilities, chemical synthesis facilities, and confocal, electron and fluorescence microscopes
You can also:
- Apply your learning in the workplace on a laboratory-based work experience module and on a sandwich year in industry, boosting your career prospects (subject to successful applications)
- Join one of our internationally-recognised research groups
- Apply to the Erasmus exchange scheme, which involves a summer research placement at a European university
Careers and opportunities
From the medicines in your bathroom cabinet to the drug combinations used to treat cancer, the work of pharmacologists plays a crucial role in society. So there's always demand for pharmacology graduates.
With your degree in pharmacology, you could start a career in any part of the pharmaceutical industry, including:
- Drug development and testing
- Medical writing
- Marketing and sales
- Regulatory affairs
Roles you could do include:
- Clinical trial assistant/administrator
- Pharmacovigilance officer
- Research and development scientist/technician
- Secondary school teacher (with additional training)
- Regulatory executive
- Operations scientist
- Research associate
You can also continue your studies at postgraduate level on a PhD, MRes or MSc programme.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work. After you graduate, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology.
You can also apply for Associate Membership of the Royal Society of Biology when you complete the course. This gives you membership benefits including access to professional networks and conferences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Cells to Systems
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Key Skills
- Introduction to Formulation
- Laboratory Skills and Analytical Techniques
- Biomedical Toolbox
- Immunology,Inflammatory Diseases and Infective Organisms
- Neuroscience, Endocrine and Gastrointestinal Pharmacology
- Pharmacokinetics and Data Analysis
- Respiratory, Renal and Cardiovascular Pharmacology
- Antimicrobial and Antineoplastic Agents
- Cellular and Molecular Drug Targets
- Drug Development and Clinical Pharmacology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Pharmacy Health Sciences View 137 other Masters in Pharmacy in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- BCC-ABB from A levels, or equivalent, to include Biology or Chemistry, plus a second pure Science subject or Mathematics. Applied Science not accepted. For A levels which include a separate science practical component, a pass is desirable and may strengthen an application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16400 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.