From Renaissance painting to digital media, from historical costumes to avant-garde fashion, and from classical architecture to 3D-printed houses – in Media, Art, Design and Architecture at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you will study diverse forms of creative expressions, local and global, from the past and present.
You will learn to look critically at everyday objects, works of art, buildings, and media from different perspectives. Combining different disciplinary approaches gives more nuanced insights into the complexities of culture. We call this “1+1=3”.
As a Media, Art, Design and Architecture graduate, you will have a broad foundation in various disciplines. At the same time, you will become a specialist in one of the four fields of media, art, design or architecture. While most students choose to continue their studies following the bachelor, you can also find work for diverse companies and organizations, or independently pursue project-based work.
Join VU Amsterdam for an online Taster Day! During this event, you will get a taste of what life is like as a student at our university. You will get to know one specific Bachelor's programme and find out what you can expect in terms of the content. There is also an opportunity to meet students who are currently following the programme.
On-demand Bachelor’s day
Did you miss the Online Bachelor's Day on February 6? With a My Study Choice account, you can get access to the open day platform from February and view the various study programme videos!
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Approaching Visual and Material Culture
- Cultural History
- History of Media, Art, Design and Architecture: Early Modern
- Academic Skills
- Image and Object Analysis
- History of Media, Art, Design and Architecture: Modern
- Academic English
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Numerus Fixus: 15 January
- Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April
- National students, EU/EEA students and students who do not need a study visa/residence permit through VU Amsterdam: 1 May
DisciplinesArchitecture Media Studies & Mass Media View 5 other Masters in Architecture in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcript of records; a transcript in English of the grades obtained over the final two years of your high school and any further education up to the moment of your application. IB and A-level applicants are asked to upload their predicted grades.
- A scan of your diploma (if you have already graduated).
- Curriculum Vitae; the curriculum vitae should include your personal details and list your previous education and relevant work experience (± 1-2 pages).
- English language test results (if already obtained).
- Copy of valid passport or ID (ID for EEA students only).
International8870 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8870 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.