The Humanities program from NYU Shanghai is cross-cultural in foundation and reflects the interdisciplinary strength of our faculty in areas including history, philosophy, literature, religion, film and media, and cultural studies.
Humanities students engage with Asian, African, European, American, and Oceanian cultures and intellectual traditions. They learn to employ multiple disciplinary perspectives, and to engage with a wide range of different sources. Rather than developing career-specific skills, the Humanities major provides students with very general skills in reading, writing, interpretation, analysis and argument that are both highly valuable and highly transferable. Humanities majors graduate with the capacity to critically engage with our globalizing world, to contribute to contemporary scholarship, and to pursue a wide range of careers.In the Humanities core courses, students acquire a set of methods for humanistic inquiry. Students then develop an area of thematic or disciplinary focus by taking courses in Shanghai and other NYU sites in consultation with faculty advisors. In the senior year, they take the Capstone Course and produce a final thesis to showcase their intellectual development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Concept of China
- History of Water
- Talmud and the Art of Reading
- Gender, Sexuality, and Culture
- Comparative Islamic Feminisms in World Literature
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Early Decision I - November 1
- Early Decision II - January 1
DisciplinesHistory Sociology Philosophy & Ethics View 4 other Masters in Sociology in China
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Contact information for the counselor or other school representative who will complete your Common Application School Report and submit your official high school transcript.
- Contact information for one teacher (or two, maximum) who will complete the Teacher Evaluation form.
- Nonrefundable $80.00 application fee. Students who are unable to pay the application fee can request a fee waiver.
- Results from standardized tests and/or national exams
- Results from English language testing are required for students whose native language is not English
- The Common Application School Report and official high school transcript
- One teacher evaluation (students may submit an optional second teacher evaluation, but please submit no more than two)
- The Common Application Mid-Year Report
International52206 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 52206 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National52206 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 52206 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.