The Data Science program from NYU Shanghai addresses a wide-range of data types, including scientific and economic numerical data, textual data, and image and video data. This new discipline draws from methodologies and tools in several well established fields, including computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, and economics.
Data science has applications in just about every academic discipline, including sociology, political science, digital humanities, linguistics, finance, marketing, urban informatics, medical informatics, genomics, image content analysis, and all branches of engineering and the physical sciences. The importance of data science is expected to accelerate in the coming years, as data from the web, mobile sensors, smartphones, and Internet-connected instruments continues to grow.
Students who complete the major will not only have expertise in computer programming, statistics, and data mining, but also know how to combine these tools to solve contemporary problems in a discipline of their choice, including the social science, physical science, and engineering disciplines. Upon graduation, data science majors have numerous career paths.
You can go on to graduate school in data science, computer science, social science, business, finance, medicine, law, linguistics, education, and so on. Outside of academe, there are also myriad career paths. Not only can you pursue careers with traditional data-driven computer-science companies and startups such as Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Microsoft, but also with companies in the transportation, energy, medical, and financial sectors. You can also pursue careers in the public sector, including urban planning, law enforcement, and education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Computer Science
- Probability and Statistics
- Honors Theory of Probability
- Data Structures
- Multivariable Calculus
- Linear Algebra
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Early Decision I - November 1
- Early Decision II - January 1
DisciplinesMathematics Computer Sciences Data Science & Big Data View 21 other Masters in Mathematics in China
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Contact information for the counselor or other school representative who will complete your Common Application School Report and submit your official high school transcript.
- Contact information for one teacher (or two, maximum) who will complete the Teacher Evaluation form.
- Nonrefundable $80.00 application fee. Students who are unable to pay the application fee can request a fee waiver.
- Results from standardized tests and/or national exams
- Results from English language testing are required for students whose native language is not English
- The Common Application School Report and official high school transcript
- One teacher evaluation (students may submit an optional second teacher evaluation, but please submit no more than two)
- The Common Application Mid-Year Report
International52206 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 52206 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National52206 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 52206 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.