Academics, technicians and designers working at the forefront of the film and television industries will support you to develop your own professional-level portfolio.
During the Costume Design for Film and Television (Hons) programme offered at Falmouth University, You will:
- Gain core skills such as drawing, pattern cutting, garment construction and fitting techniques, costume design fundamentals and meaningful research practices.
- Explore anthropological, socio-political, psychological and cultural concepts when considering the analysis of character and script as well as how to plot costumes for moving image.
- Enhance your developing design profile through an exploration of industry applications such as styling for music promos and commercials, costume breakdown and innovative costume design projects.
- Develop essential knowledge of budget organisation, collaboration and team working as well as increased awareness of freelance practice and self-management.
- Refine your skills in your final year through a major design project and portfolio production ready for entry into industry.
What you'll learnFrom costume design to garment construction, exploring contemporary fashion history to interpreting scripts and characters and learning how to work as part of a creative team, we’ll equip you with the creative, practical and entrepreneurial skills you’ll need to succeed in this vibrant industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
During your first year you’ll be introduced to fundamental skills such as drawing, pattern cutting, garment construction and fitting techniques, costume design, how to plot costumes for moving image and meaningful research practices. You’ll also learn to analyse characters and scripts through the lens of anthropological, socio-political, psychological and cultural concepts.
In year two you’ll continue to develop your design profile through an exploration of industry applications, such as styling for music promos and commercials, costume breakdown and further advancing your costume design projects. Alongside your creative practice you’ll also gain vital skills for successful freelance practice including budget organisation, self-management and collaboration.
In your final year you’ll refine your skills through a final major design project and portfolio production, ready to step into industry.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Fashion Design View 682 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We consider all applications on their own individual merit and potential. We invite all applicants to an interview day or audition to give them the opportunity to demonstrate this along with what inspires and motivates them in their field. Applicants will also be able to show their portfolio or give a performance depending on the course. We welcome applications from all subject backgrounds, whether you’ve specialised in STEM, the arts or humanities.
As a guide our typical offer at undergraduate level is 104 – 120 UCAS Tariff points, primarily from Level 3 qualifications such as but not limited to A-levels, a BTEC Extended Diploma or a Foundation Diploma.
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.