Successful innovation depends on the selection and performance of key materials. From cars, aeroplanes and cruise ships, to sports equipment and musical instruments, the right materials can help to define technological progress.
Materials Science and Engineering explores how the properties of matter can be controlled. It includes elements of physics and chemistry, connecting closely with most other areas of engineering.
The integrated Engineering Foundation Year programme can lead to any full engineering degree. It is not a qualification in its own right, but the first year of a four-year BEng degree.
Graduates of Materials Science and Engineering with a Foundation Year (Hons) degree from Swansea University are set on course for a range of exciting career opportunities. Your future could lie in any of the following roles:
- Product Development Scientist
- Biomedical Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Patent Examiner
- Quality Manager
- Process Development Scientist
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Engineering for People Hackathon
- Critical Logic
- Materials Engineering
- Materials Resources
- Engineering Analysis for Materials
- Manufacturing Technology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 118 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We accept a wide range of qualifications and backgrounds for the Engineering Foundation Year. Each application is considered on a case-by case basis, depending on the educational background and work experience of the applicant.
- For A level or IB students, our standard offer is BBB - BCC at A level, or 26 at IB.
- Students studying for BTEC or other vocational qualifications, who might not have the right pre-requisite Mathematical background for Year 1 entry, may also apply for this scheme. BTEC entry requirements for the Foundation Year are DDD, with D in all Mathematics modules.
- All applicants are also expected to hold minimum B grades at GCSE (or equivalent) in Mathematics and all sciences, including at least two A grades.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22650 GBP per year and a duration of 48 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9000 GBP per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.