The Plant Biology program offered by The University of the West Indies aims to:
- Introduce the anatomical, morphological, developmental and evolutionary features of plants.
- Explain the physiology of plant growth and development, and how plants are adapted to a variety of tropical ecosystems.
- Show the application of the principles of population genetics, molecular biology, plant propagation and cultivation to traditional and novel uses of plants for food and health and for plant conservation.
- Examine important biological process in tropical forests and the effects of changing environmental factors on forest and soil ecosystems.
- Develop skills in field and laboratory techniques, observation, data collection and analysis, and evaluation of information in the study of plant sciences.
Career opportunities in Plant Biotechnology and Micropropagation (tissue culture), Plant Breeding, Plant Production, Plant Protection/Quarantine, Medicinal Botany, Forestry, Plant Taxonomy, Environmental Assessment and Management, Forensic Botany, Extension Services, Education and Research fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Skills & Practices in Biology
- Fundamentals of Biometry
- Molecular & Population Genetics
- Plant Form & Systematics
- Principles of Ecology
- Physiology of Plants
- The Biology of Soil
- Introduction to Plant Breeding
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Plant & Crop Sciences Genetics
- FOR CARIBBEAN STUDENTS(CXC, GCE, GCSE, BGCSE, CAPE/GCE Advanced Level)
- Applicants should have the equivalent of 5 subjects (grades 1-3, including English Language) of which two(2) should be at the advanced level. CAPE (2 units each) at grades 1-5, to be eligible for the full time 3 year degree programmes.
- Students should present an acceptable high school grade transcript with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and a minimum score of 1550 for SAT1 for entry to four year programmes
- Students should present an acceptable grade 12 high school transcript with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a minimum score of 1600 for SAT 1 for entry to three year programmes
- International Baccalaureate
- Complete and submit your online application form.
- If you have done post-secondary academic work, you should request a transcript from your college/university to be sent directly to the Admissions Section
International15000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 USD per year during 36 months.
National2124 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2124 USD per year during 36 months.
- Sponsored Students from Contributing Countries: J$286,897
- Non-Sponsored Students from Contributing Countries: J$486,660
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.