In the Comic and Concept Art (Hons) programme at Leeds Arts University you will explore individual interests in commercial, independent or freelance practice within a range of creative careers from self published comics and commercial comic art to concept art for the film and game industries.
You will develop a practical, technical and professional understanding of a range of skills including: sequential illustration, visual narrative and visual communication for comic strip and comic art; character development for 2D, 3D and 4D production; print and web-based publishing; and pre–production concept visualisation for film production, game design and live performance. You will have opportunities to apply your skills across a range of creative applications including concept art, scene design storyboarding, comics, publishing, character design, caricatures and graphic novels.
Working individually and collaboratively in a studio environment, you will have access to our award-winning facilities including traditional and digital print processes and industry-standard Mac suites, and technical facilities. Established industry links for work experience, visiting professionals and studio visits combined with live briefs and competitions will give your learning a professional focus.
There are opportunities for peer collaboration, along with professional practitioners and organisations which have included Thoughtbubble – the leading comic festival in Europe, based in Leeds. You will be supported in developing your own networking, collaboration and employment opportunities in order to establish a range of career options upon graduation.
Graduates will be prepared for employment across a range of roles within the creative industries including:
- Commercial/independent/freelance comic artist (print & digital distribution)
- Character illustrator for publishing, editorial and general illustration
- Character designer for comic, film or animation
- Storyboard artist for film, animation, TV or game production
- Concept artist for film, animation, TV or game production
- Pre-production artists for film, animation, TV or game production
- Creature designer for the entertainment industry or scientific illustration
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Year One — You will explore the fundamental visual skills, principles and processes that underpin comic art and concept visualisation. You’ll develop your practical, theoretical and contextual understanding of the discipline through studio workshops and seminars alongside technical workshops and research into the profession. There is an ongoing focus on visual problem solving through experimentation and the practical investigation of traditional and digital processes.
- Year Two — You’ll explore a range of approaches to communicating ideas, concepts and narratives through set, series and sequence. You’ll apply your work to industrially relevant contexts and products while studying the theory and processes behind your practice. You’ll also learn essential business skills and develop a professional understanding of the careers available as a comic and/or concept artist.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 639 other Bachelors in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A portfolio of relevant practical work, demonstrating your ability and enthusiasm for the course you’re applying for.
- You’ll need to have passed GCSE English Language or English Literature at grade C/grade 4 or above. For mature students, an Access to Higher Education qualification in art and design will also be acceptable to demonstrate English language ability.
International15400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Seven £2000 scholarships are available as a tuition fee discount for your first year of study. You can apply for the scholarship after receiving an offer to study here. Successful recipients will be informed during the first week of June.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.