Through a distinctive and exceptional combination of classroom and farm-based learning, the Bachelor of Sustainable Agriculture program from Kwantlen Polytechnic University offers a comprehensive perspective on:
- The science of agro-ecosystem design and stewardship;
- Innovative and ecologically sound crop production methods;
- Sustainable farm business management; and,
- The economic, social, and environmental challenges facing our food system
The curriculum of the Bachelor of Applied Science in Sustainable Agriculture degree is designed in recognition of the need for both practical and academic training within the new powerful movement in sustainable agriculture. Students will be immersed in a setting which fosters experiential learning and exploring personal interests and inclination. During our four year Bachelor degree program, students will work to realize three major learning outcomes:
- The ability to grow fruit and vegetable crops within a sustainable ecological context. A full spectrum of experiential field-based agricultural courses are offered in Year 3 which, by necessity, follows a complete crop cycle beginning in the spring and extending through summer into the fall. These applied courses function as a mechanism to bring the theoretical concepts and principles of sustainable agro-ecosystem design, function and management to practical realization.
- Develop the business, sales and marketing skills necessary to manage a sustainable agricultural farming business. The development of these skills is facilitated by the inclusion of a broad base of foundational courses supplemented by a multidisciplinary business management course in Year Four.
- Develop practical, problem solving and research skills as well as an understanding of government, economic and business environments and policies needed to address issues of and advance sustainable agri-food systems, as related to employment in government, non-government organizations and the private sector.
Sustainable, local food production is a rapidly developing component of sustainable community/ regional planning and development is on the minds of the public and governments alike. Program graduates will be sought after in areas as diverse as planning, resource management, politics, government, non-government organizations, related business, and production agriculture.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Sustainable Agriculture for the 21st Century
- Food System Field Analysis
- Environmental Chemistry
- University Writing
- Confronting Moral Issues: Introduction to Ethics
- Environmental Ethics
- Sustainability: Analysis and Ethics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development Natural Sciences Agriculture View 86 other Bachelors in Natural Sciences in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The Faculty's Admission Requirements, which consist of KPU's undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement, apply to this program.
- All applicants to undergraduate studies must satisfy KPU's Undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement through an acceptable High school course, undergraduate course, KPU course, or testing option.
International20136 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10068 CAD per semester during 48 months.
National4426 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2213 CAD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Surrey
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.