What is the Course about?
From the physical products we engage with every day, such as homewares, entertainment, sports and gaming electronics to specialist high-end technology tools and medical devices, all are carefully designed to be intuitive, efficient and engaging.
Product Design develops deep insight into how people choose to live, work and play. Using design-thinking, research, process and practice, human-centred and elegant solutions are created to assist people engage and perform at their best.
Is this course for you?
If you are interested in creative problem solving tasks that focus on the development of products and services that address real-world, human-centered problems then Product Design Innovation (Honours) at Institute of Technology Carlow might be the course for you!
- All learning is project-based in a studio environment, with a continuous assessment approach. The course structure ensures full integration of all creative, academic and technical module components.
- Facilities for students include: customised studios and design offices; dedicated access to computing and industry standard design software, printing/plotting resources, multiple 3D modelling and rapid-prototyping solutions as well as traditional model workshop equipment, testing labs and finishing booths to demonstrate design proposals.
- Deep collaboration with industry partners across all years of the course to allow students to experience the design process in action.
- One semester work placement or study abroad option in year 3.
- SHOWCASE and exhibition of work occurs throughout the course allowing students to present their work to industry, commercial partners, agencies and the community.
- Exit award – Higher Certificate in Arts in Industrial Design (NFQ Level 6) after Year 2 and Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Design (NFQ Level 7) after Year 3.
- Design Studio 2 (Design for Industry)
- Personal and Commercial Visualisation
- Design Specification
- Modelling for user validation
- Design Theory, Methods and Application
- Brand Realisation
- 3D Modelling
- Working Prototypes
- International Design Movements
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Design User Experience Design View 23 other Bachelors in Design in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students must demonstrate that they have reached a level of education in their country of origin that is the equivalent of a Secondary School Diploma (High School Diploma) with good grades in an appropriate language, mathematics and at least 4 other subjects.
- Students must also have an IELTS of 5.5 or equivalent.
- Leaving Certificate: 2H5 & 4O6/H7
- Subjects required: English or Irish O6/H7, Mathematics O6/H7
International10250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10250 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
- EU students - Contribution Charge - 3000 EUR
Living costs for Carlow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.