During your year abroad you’ll become proficient in German. You'll complement your studies with modules on political systems and German history.
At the German and History BA course offered at the University of Southampton you’ll start your language studies at the right level based on your existing ability in spoken and written German. You’ll have excellent resources to support you at the Centre for Language Study.
As well as studying German and History, you’ll develop advanced analytical skills.
A special module in year 2 will make sure you’re ready for working and studying abroad in year 3. Your location options include:
You can also study this course part-time over 5 to 8 years. You'll need to spend a significant period abroad. Contact ModernLanguages@soton.ac.uk to find out more.
Employability is embedded into course modules from the first year onwards, right from the first lecture.
Your skills in intercultural communication, listening and language will be highly valued by employers.
A year abroad can give you the chance to achieve something away from education-centred activity, such as gaining relevant work experience to help form your future plans. Additional opportunities include summer internships with major local employers, including placements funded by the University. With many employers now expecting extracurricular or voluntary experience, this can prove vital.
Previous graduates have gone on to careers including:
- International development
- advertising, film and television
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- World Histories: Contact, Conflict and Culture from Ancient to Modern
- German Linguistic Studies
- German History, Politics and Society
- The French Revolution
- Tudor Rebellions
- God's Own Land: Exploring Pakistan's Origins and History
- Alternative Histories: Between Private Memory and Public History
- Alternative Histories: Music and History
- Alternative Sexualities
- Alternative Histories: Cultures of Migration
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Language Studies Languages View 1571 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
One of the following:
- A-levels: AAB including Grades AB in History (or a related subject) and German
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: Pass, with 34 points overall with 17 points at Higher Level, including 6 and 5 at Higher Level in History (or a related subject) and German
- BTEC: Distinction in the BTEC Extended Diploma plus A in A level History (or a related subject) and A in A level German or Distinction in the BTEC Diploma plus A in A level History (or a related subject) and A in A level German or Distinction in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus A in A level History (or a related subject) and A in A level German
International18520 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18520 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
- EU Full-time: £18,520 per year
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.