Opportunities to engage with external practitioners are integral to the Graphic Arts BA course offered at the University of Southampton giving you an in-depth understanding of professional practice and enhancing your employability.
Working in a superb studio spaces, you’ll develop the practical and critical skills of a graphic artist and use research insights to guide your design. The strong links with industry ensure the curriculum is at the forefront of current creative practice.
In your first semester you’ll work across 4 specialist pathways:
- graphic design - with a focus on creating consistent visual communications across different media; from print and editorial design, typography, branding and advertising through to user experience (UX) design and emerging media
- illustration - the art of visual storytelling for editorial publications, publishing, branding, games, digital animation and much more
- motion design - moving image for video and animation, and visual communication across multi-screen and interactive environments
- photography - exploring commercial, editorial and fine art approaches
Having gained a deeper understanding of different disciplines, you’ll then choose a specific pathway as a focus for your practice.
As part of your degree you can:
- spend a semester studying overseas at one of our partner universities in Germany, Norway, Spain, Switzerland or Turkey
- attend lectures and workshops by leading design studios
- visit studios, galleries and cultural spaces in London and overseas
- take part in exhibitions such as the Winchester School of Art degree show, and the London graduate showcase, Other Forms, which are both attended by professionals from the creative industries
You’ll be encouraged to prepare entries for prestigious international competitions, such as the Penguin Student Design Awards and the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) Student Design Awards.
Six of our recent students were awarded professional membership of the prestigious International Society of Typographic Designers (ISTD). Another student won a £10,000 RSA award to develop her own design idea.
The high level of engagement with external practitioners, your experience of working in a multidisciplinary environment and our focus on professional skills will prepare you for success in the creative industries. It’s a fast-changing sector, so we aim to equip you for today’s job market and ensure you have the skills and flexibility to take advantage of new roles that will exist in the future.
Alumni work as:
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Studio Practice and Skills
- Research and communication skills
- Studio Practice and Research
- Contemporary issues
- Art of Marketing and Branding
- Visual Culture
- Writing for the Creative Industries
- Specialist Practice
- Art of Marketing and Branding
- Digital Practices and Theory
- Design Futures
- Business for the Creative Industries
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Graphic Design Liberal Arts View 252 other Masters in Graphic Design in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
One of the following:
- A-levels: BBB including an art or design based subject
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: Pass, with 30 points overall with 15 points at Higher Level including an art or design based subject
- BTEC: Distinction, Distinction, Merit in the BTEC Extended Diploma in an art or design based subject or Distinction, Distinction in the BTEC Diploma plus B in an A level including an art or design based subject or Distinction in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus BB in two A levels including an art or design based subject
International18520 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18520 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- EU Full-time: £18,520 per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.