- The Foundation Diploma in Art and Design at the Leeds Arts University foregrounds problem-solving, idea generation and critical thinking; you’ll be asked to reject your preconceptions and take risks outside your comfort zone. You will learn through playful experimentation and will develop lateral thinking strategies in order to approach problems from new perspectives. The course gradually moves from wide ranging staff-led projects to a position of independence, culminating in a significant individual project in the final stage.
- The ability to draw is one of an artist and designer’s most valuable tools— that is why drawing, in its many forms, underpins all elements of the course. Within this intensively creative and demanding environment you’ll be challenged to become more inventive and experimental. You will develop your analytical and critical faculties in relation to the work of contemporary artists and designers, and the work developed by your peers.
- You will be taught by experienced staff, including practising artists and designers, who have extensive experience across a wide breadth of art and design disciplines. They will support you through the UCAS application process and help you find the most appropriate degree course. Admissions tutors at highly selective universities look favourably on applicants with a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Stage One — You will be set a range of short projects that will develop your understanding of art and design ‘languages’ in a wide range of media. You will also develop your technical understanding across a range of workshops.
- Stage Two — You will work within a specialist pathway focusing on either: MAGPi (including moving image, graphic design, photography, illustration); Fine Art (including painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, film and video, performance); Textiles, Fashion & Costume (including constructed textiles, embroidery, surface pattern, fashion design, costume design); or Object and Spatial Design (including architecture, interior design, theatre design, transport design, furniture design, jewellery, ceramics, glass).
- Stage Three — This stage is a nine week project that is proposed, time managed and undertaken by you.
- We are looking for talented people who have learned from a range of creative and life experiences and who are genuinely excited by the possibilities of art and design practice. Due to the intensive nature of the course, you will need a high degree of motivation and a commitment to hard work.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts View 1302 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- We look at your GCSE results and projected A level grades. You will be required to send three examples of your work which shows your interest and ability in art, design and/or technology.
- Please be advised that these include achievement of English and Maths GCSEs at grade 4/grade C or above.
International11700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11700 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA5421 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5421 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- *UK Students 19 years old and above
- There are no fees for students aged 19-23 studying their first level 3 qualification.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.