About The Programme
You will investigate a wide range of applications for illustration using both traditional and new media to realise your creative ambitions in this Illustration (Hons) programme from Leeds Arts University.
Working in a collaborative studio environment you will have access to excellent facilities including traditional process studios and industry-standard Mac suites loaded with creative software. You will have opportunities to apply your skills across a range of illustrative applications including packaging, products, storyboarding, character design and comics, editorial and publishing, caricatures and graphic novels.
You can utilise our excellent links with professional illustrators, agencies and creative industry experts to gain a professional focus through live projects, competition briefs and industrial experience. There are opportunities for collaboration with other courses.
A great deal of attention is paid to helping you build your own practice and we will support you in this. You will learn to generate your own networking, collaboration and exhibition opportunities. On graduation you should not only have an awareness of the options and opportunities available to you, but also the confidence and understanding to make informed decisions about your future and how to find work and clients when you leave the course. The overall aim of the course is to help individuals to develop into independent, creative thinkers with the ability to deliver critically and visually engaged work within the professional context of contemporary illustration.
Graduates will work as freelance or employed illustrators, concept artists, storyboard artists, information visualisers, character/caricature artists, technical illustrators and commercial artists. They may also work for illustration agencies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Year One — You’ll explore a range of approaches to the communication of ideas through image making, with an emphasis on experimentation and critical reflection. You’ll develop your practical, theoretical and contextual understanding of the discipline through studio workshops and seminars alongside resource-based workshops. There is an ongoing focus on discovery through making and play supported by a lively programme of studio briefs.
- Year Two — You’ll explore a range of approaches to communicating ideas, concepts and messages through image, media and visual language. You’ll apply your work to industrially relevant contexts and products while studying the theory and processes behind your practice. You’ll also learn essential business skills.
- Year Three — You’ll focus on your own ambitions and business-related skills for becoming a professional illustrator.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Graphic Design View 584 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- - A portfolio of relevant practical work, demonstrating your ability and enthusiasm for the course you’re applying for.
- - You’ll need to have passed GCSE English Language or English Literature at grade C/grade 4 or above. For mature students, an Access to Higher Education qualification in art and design will also be acceptable to demonstrate English language ability.
International15400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Seven £2000 scholarships are available as a tuition fee discount for your first year of study. You can apply for the scholarship after receiving an offer to study here. Successful recipients will be informed during the first week of June.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.