You might also comment on the images you create so that the correct treatment can be given. You'll provide a service to most hospital departments.
On this BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography and Medical Imaging degree, you'll learn how to use specialist medical imaging and radiography equipment effectively, and develop professional skills for your career.
In year 1, you'll learn the foundational skills and knowledge needed for a career as a radiographer, and then build on this in years 2 and 3 in areas such as evidence-based decisions making, human biology and image interpretation.
You'll spend up to 13 weeks in each year on clinical placements, applying the knowledge and practical skills you learn under the supervision of a mentor and other clinical staff.
When you complete the course successfully, you’ll be eligible to apply to register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as a Diagnostic Radiographer.
On this degree course you’ll:
- Examine areas such as radiation science, human anatomy, modern technology and effective communication
- Investigate areas such as radiation science, human anatomy, modern technology and effective communication
- Learn how to evaluate images from the technology you use to identify illnesses and treatment options
- Work in an environment that prepares you for your career, working alongside other clinical departments and experienced Diagnostic Radiographers
- Use our simulation facilities including the digital X-ray suite
- Attend clinical placements, where you'll engage with and examine patients under the supervision of experts
Careers and opportunities
Diagnostic radiography is a rewarding career that's essential to modern medicine.
Without diagnostic radiographers it would be harder to diagnose, treat and manage illness and disease. They provide essential services to millions of people every year and are often the first people patients and service users come into contact with during their care.
The 2018 Society of Radiographers annual report highlights there's a growing demand for radiographers.
The role is varied and every day is different so it's an occupation that's rarely dull.
This course was approved by the College of Radiographers for 5 years from 16 March 2020. It's also approved by the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applied Diagnostic Radiography Professional Practice
- Engaging with Service Improvement
- Evidence Based Decision-Making
- Human Biological Principles
- Imaging Science and Clinical Governance
- Enhancing Diagnostic Radiography Professional Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Health Sciences View 798 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
112-120 points from 3 A levels, or equivalent, including a minimum of 32 points from a Science subject (preferably Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics). A levels in Applied Science, PE, Psychology and Sports Science are considered. BTEC Extended Diploma in a Science based subject and Science based Access to Higher Education awards are also welcomed. All shortlisted applicants will need to attend an interview. Applicants must pass Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and Occupational Health checks before starting the course.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.