The BA Graphic Design and Illustration (Hons) at Liverpool John Moores University course has a reputation for excellence and we are proud to have produced some of the country’s most innovative and respected designers and nillustrators.
They include Paul Pensom, who is current Art Editor at Creative Review; Joe Stottard, designer at Adidas in Germany; James Gilmore, designer at Design Studio, responsible for the recent rebranding of The Premier League and Airbnb; Malik Thomas-Smeda who was commissioned by the National Football Museum in Manchester
At least one of the course’s external examiners is a current practitioner, ensuring that our graduates meet the standards required by the creative industries.
This highly vocational programme presents many opportunities to make contacts in the world of graphic design, through placements, projects, competition briefs and graduate freelance and self-employment events.
All of these activities are pathways into careers in the creative industries, whether you decide to go freelance, find employment with a large agency or start up your own design studio. You are prepared for the 'world of work' within the curriculum in a number of ways.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- What? Studying Graphic Design and Illustration
- How? Making Graphic Design and Illustration
- Why? Applying the Creative Process
- Investigate, Document, Present
- Future Thinking
- The following options are typically offered:
- Graphic Design and Typography
- Graphic Design and the Screen
- Graphic Design and Identity
- Graphic Design and Context
- Illustration (Text and Image)
- Illustration (Materials and Media)
- Illustration (Creative Practice)
- Illustration (Context)
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Graphic Design View 251 other Masters in Graphic Design in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Minimum points required from qualifications 112
- An enthusiasm for Art & Design based subjects
- Capable of discussing of Art & Design issues and influences
- Visual awareness and communication
- The ability to analyse and reflectively criticise
- While we take many students who are already certain about their eventual pathway through the programme it is not necessary at this stage for students to have made up their mind.
- We are more interested in ideas, attitude and students' approach to making work and less interested in technical prowess. Sketchbooks, reference and research work are as important as finished project work at interview.
- Assessment of suitability to the course will include a review of a portfolio of work and interview.
International16100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16100 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Full-time industrial placement year fee: £1,850 per annum
- Full-time international placement year fee: £3,650 per annum
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.