The Agricultural Education program is offered by Washington State University. Highly sought after by employers, graduates can go on to teach high school and middle school agricultural science classes, as well as serve as FFA advisors, adult education instructors, community outreach coordinators, or university extension agents.
Strengths of the program
- Participate in continuing professional development opportunities after receiving a degree or starting a career.
- The agriculture education program enhances communication and leadership skills for careers throughout agricultural education.
- Learn to develop curriculum and instructional materials for agricultural students.
- Benefit from the career and learning networks provided by agriculture, food, and natural resource educators.
- Engage in research and scholarly activities related to teaching, communication, distance delivery, and leadership in agriculture, food, and natural resources.
- Prepare for a successful career as an agricultural educator in secondary and postsecondary schools, as well as for agriculture, food, and natural resources industries.
Agricultural education is a science-based program that includes chemistry, biology, communication, and math classes, as well as a teacher education component that results in certification to teach agriculture.
The major includes technical agriculture courses in animal science; crops and soils; horticulture; and agricultural and resource economics.Career
More than 75 percent of the program’s graduates choose to teach the applied science of agriculture. There are many opportunities in Washington and nearby states to teach agriculture. Some agricultural education majors increase their employment options by also taking courses that lead to certification to teach science.
There are also a variety of non-teaching career areas that require the skills learned in the agricultural education program. Some of those non-teaching options include:
- 4-H Youth or agricultural extension agent
- FFA advisor
- Administrator of industry-based training/information programs
- Administrator of public relations programs
- High school career and technical education director
- Sales and service
- Government agencies, such as SCS, ASCS, and FmHA
- Public service organizations, such as Farm Bureau or livestock/crop commodity boards
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Cultivated Plants
- World Agricultural Systems
- Natural Resource Ecology
- Soil: A Living System
- Cultural and Community Contexts
- Metal Fabrication
- Methods, Materials, and Machines for Teaching Ag Mechanics
- Introduction to Farm and Ranch Management
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
The priority date for admission applications is January 31. Applications received after are welcomed and will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
DisciplinesEducation Agriculture View 335 other Masters in Agriculture in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Have your high school send your official transcripts to WSU. If you have college credit through Running Start or a similar program, ask the college to send those transcripts to WSU as well.
- Have your official SAT or ACT scores sent to WSU.
International52186 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26093 USD per semester during 48 months.
National25702 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12851 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State10760 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5380 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Pullman
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
A variety of state, federal, and university-sponsored programs are available to help students with educational costs.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.