The Psychology with Counselling (Hons) program offered by University of Huddersfield combines the theory of psychology with practical counselling approaches, helping you build the skills required to help people in need.
Students will have the opportunity to use the skills that they have developed in a wide range of situations, careers or further study.
We’ll look at the science of mind and behaviour, which is the Psychology side of the course, and also at the different types of counselling approaches. Cognitive behavioural therapy, person-centred, psychodynamic therapy and others – you’ll have the opportunity to explore a wide range of techniques. You’ll also look at the importance of health and wellbeing in day-to-day life, and how to support other people in their everyday lives.
On the course we’ll take a research focus, looking at the theory and practice of counselling and psychology, helping your personal development during the three years.
The standard and volume of support and teaching materials is excellent, and is reflective in the marks the students achieve. This is due to the high quality teaching and support provided by the course teams. In many modules, assessment on topical issues in an innovative manner enable lecturers to capture and harness the students’ enthusiasm for the subject, and so demonstrate their ability to maximum effect. I have enjoyed working with such a professional team at Huddersfield.
Previous Huddersfield Psychology graduates have gone on to roles relating to education, healthcare, research, human resources, marketing, operations, media, business and social services in organisations including the NHS Foundation Trust, Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Abacus Learning, Hesley Group, Hermes, CAS Behavioural Health, Barnardo’s, Age UK, Alzheimer’s Society, British Gas, Bupa, Department of Work and Pensions, Her Majesty Prison Service Nottingham, HSBC, Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, Jet2, Leeds Community Healthcare Trust, Leeds St James Hospital, Tesco, Cygnet Health Care, Holmfirth High School, Lloyds Banking Group, West Yorkshire Police.
92-93% of graduates from courses in these subject areas who go on to work and/or further study within six months of graduating.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introducing Counselling Skills and Process
- Introducing Counselling Theory
- Child Development
- Introduction to Social Psychology and Personality
- Introduction to Cognitive and Biological Psychology
- Introduction to Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods
- Advancing Counselling Skills
- Advanced Theories of Counselling
- Social Psychology and Personality
- Cognition; Brain and Behaviour
- Psychological Research and Data Analysis
- Developmental Psychology
- Integrating Counselling Skills
- Psychology Final Year Project
- Integrating Counselling Theory
- Psychological Disorders
- Behaviourism and Positive Behaviour Change
- Psychology of Health and Wellbeing
- Psychology of Education
- Forensic Psychology
- Profiling and investigating Serious Crime
- The Neuroscience of Cognition
- Investigative Psychology
- States of Consciousness
- Exploring Clinical Psychology
- Work and Organisational Psychology
- Alternative Psychologies
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling View 132 other Masters in Counselling in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Apply through UCAS
- BBB at A Level
- 120 UCAS tariff points from a combination of Level 3 qualifications
- DDM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
- Pass Access to Higher Education Diploma with 45 Level 3 credits at Merit or above
- Level 2 Maths or Numeracy or GCSE Maths at grade 4 or above, or grade C or above if awarded under the previous GCSE grading scheme.
International15500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15500 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.