Anything designed by human beings exhibits visual qualities that are specific to the place and period in which it originates. As well as educating students in the historical interpretation of art in its cultural contexts, a degree in History of Art provides skills in the critical analysis of objects through the cultivation of visual literacy. The acquired skills have broad applicability in a wide range of professional settings, as well as serving the needs of enduring personal enlightenment.
The cultural industries are one of the biggest employers in the world. In addition to museums and galleries, there are many governmental and nongovernmental agencies that work to conserve, research and promote cultural heritage and to further the production of art. Furthermore, History of Art course from University of Oxford graduates will be especially competitive for posts in any area that requires combinations of visual and verbal skills, such as publishing, advertising, marketing and web-based media, as well as entering the wide range of professions available to all humanities graduates.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to the history of art
- Supervised extended essay on a building, object or image in Oxford.
- Anglo-Saxon archaeology
- The Carolingian Renaissance
- Culture and society in Early Renaissance Italy
- Flanders and Italy in the Quattrocento
- Court culture and art in early modern Europe
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArt History View 218 other Masters in Art History in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A-levels: AAA
- Advanced Highers: AA/AAB
- IB: 38 (including core points) with 666 at HL
- Candidates are required to have taken an essay-based subject to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent.
- History of Art, Fine Art, History, English or a language can be helpful to students in completing this course, although they are not required for admission.
International27285 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27285 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Islands (Channel Islands & Isle of Man): £9,250
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.