Psychological therapies are rooted in psychological understanding, so this degree provides a strong foundation in psychology with a specific focus on how counselling works and how it can help people change.
Key features of the Psychology with Counselling (Honours) course at The Open University UK
- Covers the key concepts, theories, methods and debates in psychology and counselling
- Gives you an appreciation of different perspectives within psychology and the ability to evaluate them critically
- Explains how psychological theories and research are applied in practical or professional contexts, particularly within counselling practice
- Can be the first step towards professional accreditation as a psychologist.
Skills for career development
As well as specific knowledge and skills in psychology and counselling, this degree course will help you to develop transferable and work-related skills that are highly valued by employers.
- effective team working
- independent and critical thinking
- IT and data handling
- analysing and evaluating diverse sources of information, including qualitative and quantitative data
- designing and carrying out research projects, and presenting findings
- problem-solving and reasoning
- application of learning to real world problems and situations.
This degree is relevant to a broad range of careers, including those within the health and social care system, and organisations in the statutory and voluntary sectors. Knowledge of human behaviour, counselling and related ‘people skills’ are recognised by employers as real assets in working with individuals and teams. You’ll gain a theoretical basis in counselling as well as a broad understanding of psychology that will prepare you to work in a variety of ways with a diverse range of people.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Science and health: an evidence-based approach
- Counselling and forensic psychology: investigating crime and therapy
- Exploring mental health and counselling
- Investigating psychology
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Health Sciences Counselling View 13 other Masters in Counselling in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- At The Open University we believe education should be open to all, so we provide a high-quality university education to anyone who wishes to realise their ambitions and fulfil their potential.
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
Current fee for 120 credits – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study – is £6,192.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.