You’ll be introduced to pure mathematics, applied mathematics and statistics; using mathematical software; working with abstract ideas; and modelling real-world problems using mathematics.
Key features of the Certificate of Higher Education in Mathematical Sciences at The Open University UK
- Introduces essential topics in pure mathematics, applied mathematics and statistics
- Builds your confidence working with abstract ideas; modelling real-world problems and using relevant software
- Offers a choice of start points to suit your level of mathematical knowledge
- Builds a solid foundation on which to continue on to a higher qualification
Skills for career development
This certificate course provides skills and knowledge required for jobs in a wide range of fields. It will particularly enhance the following transferable and highly valued skills:
- communicating mathematical ideas clearly and succinctly
- explaining mathematical ideas to others
- understanding complex mathematical texts
- working with abstract concepts
- thinking logically
- expressing problems in mathematical language
- constructing logical arguments
- finding solutions to problems
- interpreting mathematical results in real-world terms
- using relevant professional software.
Career areas directly related to mathematics include:
- market research
- quantitative analysis/risk analysis
Mathematical knowledge is much sought after by a wide variety of employers in fields such as education, engineering, business, finance, and accountancy. A qualification in mathematics also offers opportunities for self-employment – as a financial adviser, for example.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Discovering mathematics
- Essential mathematics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics Bioinformatics View 55 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
There is no formal pre-requisite study, but you must have the required mathematical skills.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Students living outside the UK aren’t normally eligible for a tuition fee loan. We suggest checking with your national government or education authority for advice on funding.
There are a number of scholarship opportunities listed on the Scholarship Portal website.
The site features over 1,000 scholarships listed by country, ranging from the Amelia Earhart Fellowship for Women in Science and Engineering, to a Young Horticulturalist of the Year Award.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.