The design modules feature online design studios, social networking and inspiring study materials alongside a significant practical component. As well as design, you’ll study modules in complementary subjects gaining skills and knowledge in an area that fits your needs and interests.
Key features of the Design and Innovation (Honours) degree at The Open University UK
- Teaches you about several different design specialisms
- Focuses on the process and application of design and innovation in real-world contexts
- Puts your learning into practice, building a portfolio of design work to show your ideas and skills
Skills for career development
A design and innovation approach can bring value to almost any activity, and is increasingly in demand with employers – for example in education, business, local government, leisure services, engineering, environment, and health.
This degree course will develop your skills in design and innovation so that you can apply them to ‘embedded contexts’ – areas outside the creative industries that are not traditionally thought of as ‘creative’, but nevertheless benefit hugely from design thinking. As an Open University student you have a great advantage over other design students in that your learning can be put into practice as you study.
The BA/BSc (Honours) Design and Innovation encourages you to apply the thinking, methods, and techniques you learn to your own context, enabling you to produce a portfolio of highly relevant design work. Additionally, the ability to think critically and responsibly about design problems is greatly valued by a wide range of employers.
Design and innovation play a central role in society, producing solutions to problems of all sizes in every aspect of our lives, not just in the creative industries. A design and innovation approach can bring value to almost any activity, and is increasingly in demand by employers. Graduates with these skills can find jobs in a wide range of fields including education, business, local government, leisure services, engineering, environment, and health.
Accredited for membership of the Institution of Engineering Designers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Design thinking: creativity for the 21st century
- Engineering: origins, methods, context
- Engineering: frameworks, analysis, production
- Environment: journeys through a changing world
- Design essentials
- Exploring art and visual culture
- Shaping business opportunities
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Innovation Management View 6 other Masters in Innovation Management in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- At The Open University we believe education should be open to all, so we provide a high-quality university education to anyone who wishes to realise their ambitions and fulfil their potential.
- If you choose the BSc designation, you’ll have to develop your mathematical skills. We’ll teach you the skills required, but a willingness to learn them is necessary.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
- Our current fee for 120 credits – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study – is £6,192
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.