Our aim is to provide you with sound and broad zoological training that covers both pure and applied aspects of animal life. The provision of a diversity of laboratory and field zoology experience is an important component of the course, as is the acquisition of transferable skills (data analysis, group work, presentational and writing skills, IT skills).
You will not only enjoy the resources expected of a modern centre of animal biology but will also benefit from the proximity of an exceptional range of terrestrial, marine and freshwater habitats where field work, which is an integral part of the degree is conducted.
We are unusual among British universities in having our own substantial Zoology Museum, and being part of the Environment Centre Wales which is a partnership venture between Bangor University and the Natural Environment Research Council’s Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH). We also have our own marine and freshwater aquaria.
Why choose Bangor University for this Zoology course?
- Cutting-edge science is integral to our research programmes, and feeds through into the teaching environment. Our expertise in biology and biotechnology encompasses studies into medical and environmental microbiology, plant biology, marine biotechnology, fisheries genetics, cell and genome biology, neurobiology and development.
- Our excellent teaching facilities include a Natural History Museum which boasts an exceptionally comprehensive collection of insects and vertebrate material, and extensive marine and freshwater aquaria with a suite of temperature controlled rooms.
- Bangor’s location makes it an ideal place to study zoology as we have an extensive range of local terrestrial and aquatic habitats for field trips.
Employability and the School of Natural Sciences
As a graduate with a good degree from the School of Natural Sciences, a variety of careers will be open to you. There are careers for which a Biological Sciences degree is essential, and careers for which Biological Sciences provides a useful base.
In addition, there are careers open to graduates and postgraduates from any discipline. These include, for example, careers in management training, accountancy, teaching, nursing, social work, the police and the armed forces. However, employers are usually looking for general or transferable skills, and a Biological Sciences degree arguably provides a unique combination of these.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Organismal Diversity
- Ecology and Evolution
- Practical Skills
- Principles of Life
- Bioscience Skills
- Evolution & Genetics
- Vertebrate Biology
- Integrative Zoology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
The initial UCAS deadline for UK and EU students is 15 January, however we welcome applications after this date.
DisciplinesBiology Animal Sciences Genetics View 374 other Masters in Genetics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Levels: For MZool - including grade B in Biology.
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: including H6 in Biology
- City & Guilds Advanced Technical (1080) / Extended Diploma: Distinction overall including 4 Biology modules from the following: Animal Behaviour and Communication, Biological Systems of Animals, Wildlife and Ecology Conservation, Inheritance and Genetics, Ecological Concepts and Application, Population Surveys, Ecology and Conservation. Other Biology-related modules considered case by case.
- Access to HE in the Sciences: Pass
- Welsh Baccalaureate is accepted
- Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma is not accepted.
International16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Bangor
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.