Through a series of individual modules which offer an element of choice, students will cover both invertebrate and vertebrate zoology and consider applied aspects such as parasitology, and the interaction between animals and their environment. We offer several opportunities to carry out field studies, both home and abroad, and to work in a research laboratory.
Our aim is to provide you with sound and broad zoological training that covers both pure and applied aspects of animal life. The provision of a diversity of laboratory and field zoology experience is an important component of the course, as is the acquisition of transferable skills (data analysis, group work, presentational and writing skills, IT skills).
You will not only enjoy the resources expected of a modern centre of animal biology but will also benefit from the proximity of an exceptional range of terrestrial, marine and freshwater habitats where field work, which is an integral part of the degree is conducted. We are unusual among British universities in having our own substantial Zoology Museum, and being part of the Environment Centre Wales which is a partnership venture between Bangor University and the Natural Environment Research Council’s Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH). We also have our own marine and freshwater aquaria.
Why choose Bangor University for this Zoology (Hons) course?
- Cutting-edge science is integral to our research programmes, and feeds through into the teaching environment. Our expertise in biology and biotechnology encompasses studies into medical and environmental microbiology, plant biology, marine biotechnology, fisheries genetics, cell and genome biology, neurobiology and development.
- Our excellent teaching facilities include a Natural History Museum which boasts an exceptionally comprehensive collection of insects and vertebrate material, and extensive marine and freshwater aquaria with a suite of temperature controlled rooms.
- Bangor’s location makes it an ideal place to study zoology as we have an extensive range of local terrestrial and aquatic habitats for field trips.
- As part of the course you may choose to spend 3-6 months in year 2 at a University in either Europe or the United States on a student exchange programme.
Careers and Employability
Zoologists have gained employment in wildlife management, environmental consultancy, and local and national media, whilst some have undertaken a range of postgraduate programmes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Organismal Diversity
- Ecology and Evolution
- Practical Skills
- Principles of Life
- Bioscience Skills
- Evolution & Genetics
- Vertebrate Biology
- Integrated Zoology
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
The initial UCAS deadline for UK and EU students is 15 January, however we welcome applications after this date.
DisciplinesBiology Animal Sciences Genetics View 374 other Masters in Genetics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Levels. For BSc - including grade C in Biology if studying 1 other science subject - Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology, Environment Science, Geography, Geology; or grade B in Biology if not studying another science subject.
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: Including H5 in Biology.
- Access to HE in the Sciences: Pass
- Welsh Baccalaureate is accepted
- Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma is not accepted
International16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Bangor
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.