Key features of the Diploma of Higher Education in Language Studies at The Open University UK
- Develops you into an independent user (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages level B2) of at least one modern language
- Develops knowledge of the cultures that use your chosen languages
- Extends your competence in intercultural communication
- Allows you to understand how language is structured and used in different contexts
Languages are central to some professions, such as translating, interpreting and teaching. They are also a key asset in the diplomatic service, tourism and international business and administration. This diploma will take your language skills to a high level.Other careers
Language skills are also highly valued in a range of other sectors. Surveys indicate that employers place a premium on the ability to make contact and communicate with global trade partners and to understand overseas business environments and that they often acknowledge this with higher salaries. The languages most in demand in UK industry are French, German, Spanish and Mandarin.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- French studies 1 (intermediate)
- Bon départ: beginners' French
- Rundblick: beginners' German
- Portales: beginners' Spanish
- Exploring languages and cultures
- English for academic purposes online
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
It is not possible to register for this qualification at the moment. We expect to open for registrations in March.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 46 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- There’s a choice of starting points in your chosen modern language(s) – your choice will depend on your current level of confidence and proficiency. See our guidance on choosing the right modern language level, which includes a self-assessment quiz to help you decide between beginners’ or intermediate French, German and Spanish.
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
At current prices, the total cost of your qualification would be £12,384
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.