In a globalised world, knowledge of and specialisation in a second language is key to allow you to adapt to a constantly evolving, global labour market seeking increasing numbers of linguists. The English Studies programme from University of Jaén allows you to specialise in three areas: applied linguistics; literature and cultural studies; and English for international communication. The departments of English Studies, Hispanic Studies and Mediterranean Languages and Cultures all participate in the degree programme.
You will be able to take advantage of the University of Jaén's unique cross-disciplinary training programme and the range of activities offered in connection with this master’s programme to improve your personal development and professional prospects.
- To train you as a professional who is able to meet the demands of the labour market
- To equip you with advanced knowledge of the English language
- To equip you with an in-depth knowledge of English culture
- To train you in the philological foundations of English Studies
- To train you to research English culture
Graduates in English Studies will find career opportunities in teaching and other fields requiring a particular command of English. These may include:
- Correction of texts or literary criticism at publishing houses
- A high level in at least two modern languages will enable students to go on to study translation and interpreting
- Graduates in English Studies can sit civil service examinations to become secondary school teachers, conversation assistants, translators and interpreters at national and international organisations, or archivists and librarians
- English grammar: morphology and semantics
- Culture of English-speaking countries
- English literature 1660-1890
- Study and analysis techniques in English literature
- Linguistics applied to the teaching of English
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Jaén and/or in Spain, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
To take full advantage of the opportunities offered by the Bachelor’s Degree in English Studies, the ideal applicant is someone with an interest in modern languages, literatures and cultures. They will need a minimum level of B1 in English and basic notions of a second foreign language, as well as a high level of reading comprehension and good public speaking skills.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.