Chemistry is often referred to as the 'central science'. It covers topics as diverse as quantum mechanics and the study of atomic particles, to the molecular nature of biological systems and the Human Genome Project.
This Chemistry, Green Principles and Sustainable Processes (with a year abroad) (Hons) degree from the University of York you will give you a strong grounding in fundamental chemistry. You'll also develop specialist knowledge of green chemistry, which is increasingly important in industry as regulations tighten and chemical resources become harder to find.
Each year you'll take a range of core modules which cover the basic principles of chemistry. Alongside these you'll take specialist modules which focus on green principles and sustainable processes. There are plenty of opportunities to see the exciting contributions chemistry can make in the modern world.
Careers and skills
Although the majority of our graduates progress to become scientists, the analytical and transferable skills which constitute part of our degrees are recognised as suitable training for a wide range of careers.
About 40 graduates per year stay in the Department or join other universities to work for higher degrees. Most are involved in collaborative research projects, many with chemical companies.
This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry, assuring the quality of our teaching. This course meets the academic criteria for Chartered Chemist (CChem) status.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Chemical Properties and Analysis
- Molecules and Reactions
- Practical Chemistry
- Skills for Chemists
- Molecules in Action
- Theory, Analysis and Mechanisms
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Chemistry Biochemistry View 648 other Bachelors in Chemistry in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- AAB including A in Chemistry plus two other sciences/mathematics
- AAA including A in Chemistry plus one other science/mathematics
- A*AA including A in Chemistry
Access to Higher Education Diploma
- You will need to make sure that the particular Access course you are considering is appropriate, and syllabuses must contain a significant portion of chemistry and mathematics. The Access tutors at your College would be able to confirm that this is the case. Applications will be considered on an individual basis.
BTEC National Extended Diploma
- DDD and an additional A level or equivalent qualification in Chemistry
- D3, D3, M2 including D3 in Chemistry and two other sciences/mathematics or D3, D3, D3 including D3 in Chemistry and one other science/mathematics or D2, D3, D3 including D3 in Chemistry.
- 80% overall, including a minimum grade of 85% in Chemistry
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International26800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26800 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.