Your first year at Lancaster University's French Studies and Film (Hons) comprises an exploration of the French language and its cultural context as well as an introduction to Film Studies and the core module, ‘Modernism in the Arts’. Alongside this, you will study a minor subject of your choice.
Building on your language skills in Year 2, you will study the culture, politics and history of the French-speaking world in more depth, as well as selecting modules which are international in scope and promote a comparative understanding of Europe and beyond. You will combine these with the modules ‘Critical Reflections’ and ‘Hollywood and Beyond: Global Cinema’.
Spending your third year abroad in a French-speaking country makes a major contribution to your command of the language, while deepening your intercultural sensitivity. You can study at a partner institution or conduct a work placement.
In your final year, you consolidate your French language skills, and study specialist culture and comparative modules, such as ‘Contemporary Cities in Literature and Film’. You will also choose film modules such as ‘Apocalypse Then: New Hollywood Cinema’, ‘Silent Cinema’ or ‘Media and Performance’.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- French Language: Written Skills (post-Beginners/CEFR: Bl)
- Hollywood and beyond: Global cinema
- Second Year Programme tor Academic Skills, Employability and International placement preparation
- Shaping Contemporary France: Moments and Movements
- Critical Reflections in Creative Arts
- European New Wave Cinema
- Film and Comic Books
- Language and Identity in France, Germany and Spain
- LICA Schools Placement
- Professional Contexts tor Modem Languages
- Society on Screen: The Language of Film
- Understanding culture
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Languages View 599 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Level ABB
- Required Subjects A level French, or if this is to be studied from beginners’ level, AS grade B or A level grade B in another foreign language, or GCSE grade A in a foreign language. Native French speakers will not be accepted onto this scheme.
- International Baccalaureate 32 points overall with 16 points from the best 3 Higher Level subjects including appropriate evidence of language ability
- BTEC Distinction
International19930 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19930 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Lancaster
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.