Why Study Biological and Chemical Sciences at University of Limerick ?
This entry route is designed to provide you with a gateway to better choice if you’re unsure which area you’d like to study. You can avail of a broad common first year which will introduce you to various topics in Biological and Chemical Sciences. Having gained a better understanding of each subject area, you then choose your preferred pathway to specialise for the remaining 3 years of your degree programme. At UL, you get to try before you decide.
The career opportunities will depend primarily on the BSc course chosen by you, typical careers are:
B.Sc in Industrial Biochemistry
- Biochemist, Teacher, Quality Assurance Manager, Scientific Researcher, Patent Agent
B.Sc. in Environmental Science
- Environmental Officer, Environmental Laboratory Scientist, Environmental Consultant, Environmental Auditor, Water Conservation Officer, Water Quality Scientist
B.Sc. in Pharmaceutical and Industrial Chemistry
- Chemist, Industrial Chemist, Environmental Chemist, Chemical Process Engineering, Quality Assurance Manager.
B.Sc in Bioscience
- Graduates of the programme will be well positioned to gain employment in Ireland’s rapidly growing high tech Life Science industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Choose your preferred degree pathway from one of the following four options;
- The B.Sc. Industrial Biochemistry focuses upon the study of living cells (or components of living cells) and the medical/industrial applications of such substances. It is designed to prepare you for a career in biotechnology and allied industries, and has a very strong employment record.
- The B.Sc. Environmental Science will provide you with a strong scientific understanding of environmental issues at local, national and global level and will give you a full knowledge of technological and management methods available to help improve the quality of our environment.
- In the B.Sc. in Pharmaceutical & Industrial Chemistry fundamental and applied aspects of organic, inorganic, physical, analytical chemistry and materials chemistry are covered as well as key chemical engineering topics.
- With the B.Sc. in Biosciences degree the emphasis is on cell biology and molecular medicine.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 30 other Masters in Biochemistry in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CAO points history: 441Minimum grades
- Applicants are required to hold at the time of enrolment the established Leaving Certificate (or an approved equivalent) with a minimum of six subjects which must include: Two H5 (Higher Level) grades and Four O6 (Ordinary Level) grades or four H7 (Higher Level) grades. Subjects must include Mathematics, Irish or another language, and English.
- In addition, applicants must hold a minimum grade O3/H7 in Mathematics and a Grade H4 in any one of the following: Agricultural Science, Applied Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics with Chemistry.
- A Special Mathematics Examination will be offered at UL following the Leaving Certificate results for those students who did not achieve the Mathematics requirement.
- We welcome applications from mature students. Mature applicants must apply through the Central Applications Office (CAO) by 1 February.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16465 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16465 EUR per year and a duration of 48 months.
EU/EEA7354 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7354 EUR per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.