Within this Industrial Design Engineering programme from Fontys University of Applied Sciences, you will learn about the process of designing new products from concept development and prototyping, to production and bringing a product to markets. For this, you need to acquire knowledge and skills in a wide range of topics, such as aesthetics, production methods, materials, and user-centred research. You will analyse existing products and learn to design and build prototypes. You will also learn the commercial aspects involved in bringing a product to market.
Why this study in the Netherlands?
- You will be studying in an international, project based environment with English as the main language
- You will be following a study programme that consists of a unique combination of design and engineering: approximately 60% design and 40% engineering
- The project-based structure allows you to develop a collaborative attitude and the creative design skills needed to function as an Industrial Designer in an international market
- You will have access to excellent workshop facilities to realise prototypes and test your design concepts
- The business field has an increasing demand for BSc graduates in the field of Industrial Design Engineering. After graduation, you could work as a:
- Product Designer working in a design consultancy
- Design Engineer for a manufacturer of consumer electronics
- Research and Development Designer in a medical equipment supplier
- Freelance Design consultant with your own company
- Structural Packaging designer
Of course, you also have the opportunity to continue with a master’s programme.
Some of the partner companies of our Industrial Design Engineering programme that are looking for people with these skills are Philips, Canon, Ahrend, Heras, Bosch, Vogels, and VDL.
- IDE students work in a design studio not in a classroom. The design studio works throughout the year on live projects of different durations usually with multiple projects running at one time ( like in a real design studio) In order to evaluate the students’ progress ( ‘learning’) the programme assesses ‘competences’( e.g ‘professional practice’ or ‘concept development’ )
- There are 2 assessment moments per year ( each worth 30 credits) where the students demonstrate their competence development through a portfolio. 60 credits can be gained per year for 4 years totalling 240 credits after which a Bachelor of Science ( BSc) in Industrial Design Engineering is awarded.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- If you want us to arrange accommodation 15 June
- If you arrange accommodation yourself 1 August
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Industrial Design General Engineering & Technology View 11 other Bachelors in Industrial & Systems Engineering in Netherlands
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Fontys University of Applied Sciences and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
As a prospective Bachelor's student you must have a diploma of higher secondary education that is equivalent to Dutch standards. In order to be admitted to Fontys University of Applied Sciences students must be eligible for higher education through a diploma of secondary education / high school diploma with good results. For international students this means:
- senior high school diploma, which generally grants access to a Bachelor programme in the country of issue
- General Certificate of Secondary Education in 4 subjects with marks ranging from A-C, plus a General Certificate of Education with 2 subjects at advanced subsidiary level
- International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Baccalauréat Général
- American High School Diploma (AP courses are strongly recommended)
- For German students specifically: Fachabitur or Abitur (Fachhochschulreife or Allgemeine Hochschulreife)
International11190 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11190 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA1157 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1157 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU Statutory tuition fees Full-time: € 2.314
Living costs for Venlo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Bachelor's scholarship opportunities for Industrial Design Engineering.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.