The Literature and Society Bachelor's programme at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is fully in English, which means it attracts as many international students as it does Dutch students. Uniquely in the Netherlands, it focuses on literature, with only a small linguistic component. It's a programme for avid readers and critical thinkers: for all those who want to understand the story behind the story - in society as in literature.
Almost all students who graduate a Literature and Society programme go on to follow master's programmes – at VU Amsterdam, elsewhere in the Netherlands, or even abroad. The 'English Literature in a Visual Culture' master's programme at VU is the most popular, but some students choose to follow a more linguistics-focused master's degree, or two-year master's programme in education that leads to a job in teaching. Some students take a research master's and eventually a PhD position. There are plenty of possibilities.
Join VU Amsterdam for an online Taster Day! During this event, you will get a taste of what life is like as a student at our university. You will get to know one specific Bachelor's programme and find out what you can expect in terms of the content. There is also an opportunity to meet students who are currently following the programme.
On-demand Bachelor’s day
Did you miss the Online Bachelor's Day on February 6? With a My Study Choice account, you can get access to the open day platform from February and view the various study programme videos!
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- English Language Test Faculty of Humanities
- Literary Theory
- Literature, Culture and Society
- Orientation Literature and Society
- Academic English CIS-L&S Grammar
- Genre and Literary Analysis
- Academic English CIS-L&S Writing
- Academic Skills
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Numerus Fixus: 15 January
- Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April
- National students, EU/EEA students and students who do not need a study visa/residence permit through VU Amsterdam: 1 May
DisciplinesLiterature Linguistics View 8 other Masters in Linguistics in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcript of records; a transcript in English of the grades obtained over the final two years of your high school and any further education up to the moment of your application. IB and A-level applicants are asked to upload their predicted grades.
- A scan of your diploma (if you have already graduated).
- Curriculum Vitae; the curriculum vitae should include your personal details and list your previous education and relevant work experience (± 1-2 pages).
- English language test results (if already obtained).
- Copy of valid passport or ID (ID for EEA students only).
International8870 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8870 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.