You’ll learn what distinguishes machine language from human language, and how people adapt and change their ways of communicating in multilingual and multicultural contexts. You’ll investigate how language works with other modes of communication and learn basic language description and analysis. You’ll also explore English as a creative medium to express humour, thoughts and emotions. It’s not, however, designed to teach English to speakers of other languages.
Key features of the English Language certificate at The Open University UK
- Explores the contemporary diversity of English in the UK and beyond.
- Introduces debates surrounding the historical and contemporary position of English in relation to other languages.
- Teaches strategies that promote critical evaluation of texts.
- Develops you as a competent communicator.
- Reveals how the English language works, and how the choice of words and grammar affect the message.
Career relevanceStudy of the English language requires an understanding of the complexities of communication whether spoken or written. It develops your understanding of communication in an increasingly multilingual world. This makes this qualification relevant to a wide variety of careers, including:
- Public administration, local government, the civil service, and social services.
- Advertising, journalism, publishing, creative industries and public relations.
- Legal work.
- Business, banking and retail.
- Human resources.
- Charities and campaigning.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Rundblick: beginners' German
- Exploring languages and cultures
- English for academic purposes online
- Communication skills for business and management
- Bon départ: beginners' French
- French studies 1 (intermediate)
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
It is not possible to register for this qualification at the moment. We expect to open for registrations in March.
DisciplinesLanguages Literature View 26 other Masters in Literature in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- You don’t need any prior knowledge about the English language to start this qualification. However, it’s not designed to teach the English language to speakers of other languages, so you’ll need adequate reading and writing skills.
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.