Data plays an important role in almost all private and public sector employment. The need to understand how to use data to inform decision making in many occupations has never been more important.
You’ll gain a good grounding in mathematical and statistical methods, which provide a foundation for data analysis; together with the essential computing skills needed to use them to solve practical problems, including elements of machine learning and artificial intelligence. You’ll also gain experience of using statistical software packages.
Key features of the Data Science (Honours) qualification at The Open University UK
- Develops familiarity with mathematical, statistical and computational data modelling techniques.
- Builds expertise in a range of appropriate software, including the widely used Python and R languages.
- Provides experience communicating and critically commenting on the results of data analysis.
- Increases employability prospects in a wide range of sectors, including finance, government, health, education, the voluntary sector, business and commerce.
Data scientists are highly sought after in virtually all work places. The use of data science in social media, online commerce and government has revolutionised the digital economy, with employers across both the public and private sectors now recruiting data scientists to identify and solve complex business problems.
Data scientists are at the heart of supporting strategic and operational decision making. They are needed in all areas of employment including business intelligence, management, biology, economics, education, engineering, environment studies, finance, government, logistics, medicine, meteorology, market research, sport and multinational businesses.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Essential mathematics
- Applications of probability
- Analysing data
- Algorithms, data structures and computability
- Data management and analysis
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Data Science & Big Data Machine Learning View 5 other Masters in Machine Learning in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
There is no formal pre-requisite study, but you must have the required mathematical skills to study the compulsory module Essential mathematics 1 (MST124), including:
- algebraic manipulation and solving equations
- quadratics and parabolas
- geometry and trigonometry
- exponentials and logarithms.
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
Our current fee for 120 credits – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study – is £6,192
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.