The Law and Languages diploma from The Open University UK offers a solid grounding in key concepts associated with law and in the use of your chosen language. With this diploma, you’ll raise your legal awareness and acquire skills of legal analysis and methods. The study of a modern language opens doors to other cultures and communities, and can provide a key to the global workplace. The name of your diploma will reflect your chosen language (e.g. Diploma of Higher Education in Law and German).
The law modules in this qualification cover the legal system in England and Wales only, not any other parts of the UK.
Key features of the course
- Develops a solid understanding of the role of law in society today.
- Provides you with legal awareness and the skills of legal analysis and methods.
- Develops you into an independent user of your chosen language, reaching level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Develops solid knowledge of the cultures that use your chosen language, and solid intercultural communication competence.
You’ll develop a broad set of employability skills, including the ability to:
- Understand the foundation subjects of law and the legal system of England and Wales.
- Apply legal principles to resolve issues.
- Present and make a reasoned choice between different opinions and solutions.
- Read and discuss complex and technical legal materials.
- Communicate effectively, clearly and accurately with others.
- Use information and communication technology (ICT) effectively.
- Manage time and work independently and as part of a team.
- Take responsibility for your own personal development, set realistic objectives and meet your own goals.
- Manage and motivate yourself.
- Plan, organise and prioritise your work, evaluate and reflect on it.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Exploring languages and cultures
- Bon départ: beginners' French
- Spanish studies 1 (intermediate)
- French studies
- Rundblick: beginners' German
- German studies
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Public Law View 30 other Masters in Public Law in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- However, there’s a choice of starting points in the modern-language element – your choice will depend on your current level of confidence and proficiency.
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
At current prices, the total cost of your qualification would be £12,384
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.