In the History and Politics course from The Open University UK, you’ll tackle such exciting and challenging issues as power and equality, debates in politics at the national and global level, culture and beliefs, imperialism and resistance, class and gender. You'll learn the skills of both the political scientist and the historian in studying historical and contemporary political debates as well as analysing contested political issues and future trends and investigating a range of critical approaches to analysing history and politics.
Key features of the course
- Discover why the ‘long’ nineteenth century was such an exciting period in the history of the British Isles
- Explore the political ideas, institutions and processes that help govern our world
- Develops skills relevant to political and historical research and writing directed to a range of audiences
Skills for career development
Studying history and politics provides you with an adaptable set of skills that can lead in many directions and are greatly valued by employers. Beyond subject knowledge these include critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and communication. You’ll sharpen your IT, writing, and independent thinking and information auditing skills, as well as develop an ability to assimilate and evaluate relevant information when constructing an argument to a variety of audiences. These are key skills in complex organisations and independent endeavours, and are highly sought after in the world beyond study – whether you’re already working, volunteering, starting, changing or looking to progress your career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Discovering the arts and humanities
- Investigating the social world
- Understanding politics: ideas and institutions in the modern world
- The British Isles and the modern world, 1789–1914
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Modern History Political Science View 8 other Masters in Modern History in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- At The Open University we believe education should be open to all, so we provide a high-quality university education to anyone who wishes to realise their ambitions and fulfil their potential.
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
At current prices, the total cost of your qualification would be £12,384
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.