In this English Language diploma from The Open University UK, you’ll learn what distinguishes machine language from human language and how people adapt and change their ways of communicating in multilingual and multicultural contexts. You’ll investigate how language works from the smallest units of sounds, through words, conversations and written texts. You’ll also explore English as a creative medium to express humour, thoughts and emotions. It’s not, however, designed to teach English to speakers of other languages.
Key features of the course
- Explores the history of English, its contemporary diversity, its role as a global language and use in various parts of the world.
- Engages in debates surrounding the historical and contemporary position of English in relation to other languages.
- Teaches strategies that promote critical analysis and evaluation of texts, and an ability to reflect on your own language use.
- Develops you as a competent communicator, enhancing your employability.
- Reveals how the English language works, and how the choice of words and grammar affect the message.
Skills for career development
Employers greatly value the critical thinking, analysis, and communication skills acquired by studying an English language degree. You’ll sharpen your IT, writing, and independent thinking skills; and develop the ability to assimilate and evaluate relevant information in constructing an argument. These are key skills in complex organisations, greatly sought after in the world beyond study – whether you’re already working, volunteering, or changing career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Exploring languages and cultures
- English for academic purposes online
- Communication skills for business and management
- Bon départ: beginners' French
- Rundblick: beginners' German
- Portales: beginners' Spanish
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
It is not possible to register for this qualification at the moment. We expect to open for registrations in March.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 45 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- You don’t need any prior knowledge about the English language to start this qualification. However, it’s not designed to teach the English language to speakers of other languages, so you’ll need adequate reading and writing skills.
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
At current prices, the total cost of your qualification would be £12,384
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.