This engaging and wide-ranging interdisciplinary Childhood and Youth Studies diploma from The Open University UK is for anyone working with children and young people or with a general interest in the field. You’ll investigate policies, practices and issues affecting the lives of children and young people across a range of settings – developing your knowledge, your analytical skills and improving your practice.
Key features of the course
- Spans the entire childhood age range from early years to youth
- Topics include child development and psychology, international childhoods, research with children, and children’s literature
- Explore children and young people’s lives from different perspectives alongside students studying and working in different settings
- Relevant to a wide range of careers in childcare, education, health and social care
Skills for career development
This diploma provides an effective foundation for a wide choice of career paths. It emphasises independent thinking, develops analytical and communication skills and will help you become a clear and confident writer – all attributes that are highly valued by employers. Specific skills you’ll develop include:
- analysing, critically evaluating and effectively communicating information to others
- competence in team and project work, supporting and/or supervising others
- organising, synthesising and questioning opinions and arguments
- evaluating the appropriateness of different approaches to problem-solving
- managing and organising time, resources and information to support decision-making
- reflecting on your own learning and performance and taking steps to improve it
- using ICT effectively and being able to interpret data.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Making a difference: working with children and young people
- Exploring perspectives on young children's lives and learning
- Investigating psychology
- Learning and teaching in the primary years
- Exploring childhood and youth
- Psychology of childhood and youth
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Early Childhood Education View 55 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
There are no formal entry requirements to study this qualification.
However, two of the Stage 1 option modules do have requirements:
- Learning and teaching in the primary years – you’ll need to observe practice in a formal educational setting for children aged 3–12
- Exploring perspectives on young children’s lives and learning – you’ll need practice experience in a setting for children aged 0–7
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6192 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
At current prices, the total cost of your qualification would be £12,384
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.