The Digital Arts (Hons) programme from University of Malta is a three year, full-time, single honours programme that develops a learning structure in which historical traditions and new practices confront and influence each other within a contextual, cultural and theoretical framework.
The course is aimed at students who aspire to become professional artists within the areas of Graphic Design, Digital Games, Web Development, Animation, Illustration and Photography. The course provides students with a holistic artistic education, with specialisation in two main routes in the second and third years, namely:
- Graphic Design (Visual Communications, Web and Screen Design), and
- Animation (Digital Games, Web, Television/Film and Digital Video Art).
The areas of Illustration and Photography are common and overlap both streams.
Through a combination of practical and theoretical modules, the course encourages the development of critical and original approaches to contemporary creative production and enables students to actively investigate the influence of new digital technologies in relation to creativity and visual communication. The programme provides a framework within which students are prepared for further academic research as well as integration into the various graphic design, illustration and animation industries which require a high degree of digital creativity.
Career opportunities and access to further studies
The course prepares students for careers in the graphic design, the publishing and the digital games industries; the moving image and animation fields, as well as in more generalised areas which increasingly draw upon the creation of new media talent such as those of the audio-visual, gaming, mobile services, social software, and IT.
Students who successfully complete the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Honours in Digital Arts programme at the required level are eligible to read for the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Digital Arts and the MA in Digital Arts (by Research) offered by the Department of Digital Arts, Faculty of Media and Knowledge Sciences and also the Master of Science (MSc) in Digital Games offered by the Institute of Digital Games at the University of Malta.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Intermedia Studio
- Ideas Generation and Development
- Research Methods in Art and Design
- History of Photography
- Contemporary Art Photography
- English Speech Fluency
- Academic Reading and Writing in English
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Graphic Design
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To be registered as regular students in the Course applicants shall:Either
- satisfy the general requirements for admission as specified in the Admission Regulations of the University and be in possession of a pass at Advanced Level in Art or
- be in possession of the Diploma in Design Foundation Studies from the University of Malta or
- be in possession of the MCAST Advanced Diploma (Level 4) in Art and Design or Creative Media Production or Graphic Design and Interactive Media or Photography or Fashion and Retail, together with an Advanced Level pass at grade C or better in one of the following subjects English, Graphical Communication, History, Information Technology, Marketing, Philosophy, Sociology
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International8500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8500 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.