This Medical Laboratory Sciences Program at Gulf Medical University is designed emphasizing on the modern trends on theoretical and practical learning experiences that are based on laboratory sciences and focuses on specific areas such as clinical chemistry, medical microbiology, haematology, histology, immunology, and molecular biology, delivered over 4 years duration with program learning outcomes aligned to Level 7 of the National Qualifications Framework – QF Emirates.
On successful completion of this program, the student will be awarded the degree of BSc. MLS which would be a stepping stone to a challenging career in Laboratory Sciences. Graduates are prepared to enter the medical laboratory science profession and to pursue career opportunities in various laboratory settings including medical, research, and public health. The MLS curriculum also provides a solid preparation for those who wish to pursue postgraduate level. Students who successfully complete the degree program and upon fulfilling the requirement are eligible to take the Medical Laboratory Technologist (MOH, DHA, and HAAD) national licence. Graduates are eligible to sit for the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) international certification exam (ASCPi) after transcript equivalency or evaluation.
Upon successful completion of the program and fulfilling the local license/ regulatory requirements, the student can:
- Work as
- Laboratory technologist in hospitals, healthcare facilities or diagnostic labs in public or private sectors.
- Application specialist in bio medical instrument companies.
- Laboratory technologist in Pharmaceuticals and Food laboratories.
- Demand for qualified laboratory technologist is strong in every healthcare setting.
- Join universities as instructors.
- Pursue a career as a research assistant.
- Develop a career as a Medical laboratory manager.
- Pursue a career in forensic laboratories.
- Develop career as quality Assurance supervisor.
- Advance in the career by perusing higher education in specialty areas like Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Histopathology, Cytology and Genetics and Biotechnology.
- Work as Program Director of Medical Laboratory Science after completing Ph.D. in any specialty.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Upon graduation the medical laboratory technologist should be able to demonstrate entry-level competencies in the following areas of professional practice:
- Reflect ethical and moral attitudes and principles essential for gaining and maintaining the trust of professional associates, the support of the community, and the confidence of the patient.
- Maintain an attitude of respect for the patient and confidentiality of patients’ records and/or diagnoses.
- Communicate effectively with clients/patients, all members of the health profession and public members through written, verbal, nonverbal and electronic means creating an appropriate interpersonal communication developing a professional rapport in interactions.
- Develop and establish procedures for collecting, processing, and analyzing biological specimens and other substances.
- Perform analytical tests on body fluids, cells, and other clinical substances.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Admission process is initiated in the month of November for each academic year. Once the allotted seats are filled, registration will be closed.
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biomedicine Genetics View 8 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in United Arab Emirates
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The applicant must have completed a minimum of 12 years of school education.
- All applicants must complete 17 years of age on or before the 31st December in the year of admission.
- All applicants shall be evaluated for cognitive and non-cognitive traits demonstrating their aptitude for the chosen area of study by the Admissions Committee which include personal interview. Admission is finalized on competitive basis.
International8423 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8423 EUR per year during 48 months.
National8423 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8423 EUR per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.