During the Arts and Humanities (Classical Studies) (Honours) degree from The Open University UK you’ll take at least two specialist classical studies modules, discovering more about classical Greece and Rome by exploring sources as varied as poetry, drama, history writing, art, architecture, archaeology, inscriptions, and philosophy.
Alongside your study of classical studies, you can choose to study a second specialism from the subjects listed above. This will entitle you to include both subjects in the name of your degree, or complete your degree with modules chosen from a wide range of options.
Key features of the course
- Specialise in classical studies within a broad and flexible arts and humanities degree
- Develop a range of skills that will be valuable in the workplace and to further study
- Have the opportunity to write an extended essay drawing on independent study
- Select a second specialism to complement and enhance classical studies
Skills for career development
Employers greatly value the high-level critical thinking, analysis, and communication skills acquired by studying a humanities degree. You’ll sharpen your IT, writing, and independent thinking skills; and develop the ability to assimilate and evaluate relevant information in constructing an argument. These are key skills in complex organisations, greatly sought after in the world beyond study – whether you’re already working, volunteering, or changing career.
Study of the arts and humanities requires an understanding of human activities in diverse cultural environments and in very different historical circumstances. The breadth of study and range of cultural texts and objects analysed, combined with training in clear thinking and communication, make this degree course relevant to a wide variety of careers, including:
- public administration, local government, the civil service, art institutions, and social services
- advertising, journalism, publishing, creative industries and public relations
- legal work
- business, banking and retail
- human resources
- charities and campaigning.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Discovering the arts and humanities
- Classical Latin: the language of ancient Rome
- Exploring the classical world
- The Roman empire
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArt History General Studies & Classics Liberal Arts View 5 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- At The Open University we believe education should be open to all, so we provide a high-quality university education to anyone who wishes to realise their ambitions and fulfil their potential.
International6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA6192 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18576 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
Current fee for 120 credits – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study – is £6,192.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.