At the Communication Science programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you will conduct a lot of research independently. You will examine the real problems faced by real organisations and look for feasible solutions. As a result, you will not only gain knowledge of communications, but you will also learn important skills like how to set up an experiment and analyse data.
As a student of this Bachelor programme you are part of an international classroom with students and teachers from various (national) backgrounds. All courses are English-taught and designed from an international perspective.
There is increasing demand in the labour market for communications experts. Technical developments are happening continuously and rapidly, and media use is constantly changing. Therefore, organisations need experts who understand these changes and know how to deal with them. As a communication scientist, you will be able to work at any organisation with a communications department, regardless of the sector.
Why VU Amsterdam?
- At VU Amsterdam, you will receive a lot of personal attention and intensive guidance. In addition to lectures, you will work on assignments in small study groups. This allows you to develop a personal bond with instructors and fellow students.
- You will have a lot of room to conduct your own research. You will be taught the knowledge and techniques, but the research questions are up to you. In doing so, you will learn skills, such as data analysis and presentation skills, which will come in handy later on.
- Communication Science at VU Amsterdam is a multifaceted and socially relevant programme. You will learn to look critically at how communication affects society and your own life.
- You are part of an international classroom with students and teachers from various backgrounds.
- VU Amsterdam is an easily accessible campus university where you will meet students from all disciplines.
- Diversity is important at VU Amsterdam. Everyone is welcome.
- You will work together with students from other disciplines to find solutions to contemporary societal challenges such as globalisation, diversity and networks.
Join VU Amsterdam for an online Taster Day! During this event, you will get a taste of what life is like as a student at our university. You will get to know one specific Bachelor's programme and find out what you can expect in terms of the content. There is also an opportunity to meet students who are currently following the programme.
On-demand Bachelor’s dayDid you miss the Online Bachelor's Day on February 6? With a My Study Choice account, you can get access to the open day platform from February and view the various study programme videos!
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- News and Journalism
- Social Research Methodology
- Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
- haviour and Communication in Organizations
- Public Relations and Reputation Management
- Philosophy of Science
- Risk and Health Communication
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Numerus Fixus: 15 January
- Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April
- National students, EU/EEA students and students who do not need a study visa/residence permit through VU Amsterdam: 1 May
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences View 12 other Masters in Communication Sciences in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A diploma equivalent to the Dutch pre-university VWO diploma
See the Diploma Requirement List for examples of accepted diplomas per country.
Please note: this list is meant to give you an indication of admissibility; no rights can be derived from it.
Proof of sufficient proficiency in Mathematics
After you apply to the programme and upload the required documents in our student portal, your International Student Advisor will have a look at your transcripts to determine whether your diploma is equivalent to the Dutch VWO diploma and whether your mathematics level is sufficient.
International8870 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8870 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.