The specific emphasis in the BEd Childhood Education (Honours) from University of Johannesburg is on children’s learning and development and on ways to assess this in the birth to 12 years age-group, based on current theories of the developing child.
This also entails the study and the use of applied methods of research with which to capture individual children’s learning and development, specifically also their learning in the different subject areas of the primary school. The overall purpose is thus to educate a new generation of scholars in the field of childhood education
Design of the programme
The programme is designed in a way that will enable students to engage with critical issues in the learning of mathematics and science, language and literacy, the social sciences and culture, and human movement and physical education.
Towards this end the design logic of the program is that students will apply their knowledge of the literature and of the world of practice to construct custom-designed instruments for assessment, while also learning to use standardised instruments that are available to practising teachers.
- Learning and development in childhood
- Assessment and evaluation in/of childhood education
- Research methodology for/in childhood education inquiry
- Learning in the primary school: Mathematics and science
- Learning in the primary school: Language and literacy
- Learning in the primary school: The social sciences and culture
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Early Childhood Education View 64 other Bachelors in Education in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A four year Bachelor of Education degree with Education as a major OR
- A general NQF level 7 first degree with as major plus a 120C NQF level 7 Advanced Diploma in Teaching/Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- In addition to the minimum admission requirements as outlined above, prospective students who apply for this degree will undergo a selection process. The selection process may include personal interviews, panel interviews and written submissions and will take the following into account: previous academic achievement, personal skills, interpersonal skills, and the potential to develop the necessary academic reading and writing skills to become a good researcher of childhood education.
International851 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 851 EUR per year during 12 months.
(R14,634 – R171,158)
Living costs for Johannesburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.